Monday, June 22, 2009

HAPPY FATHERS DAY, OPTIMUS PRIME!!!


Yesterday was the summer solstice, the longest day of the year. It was also fathers day... coincidence? I think not. I think the Sun, who probably is a father, wanted to hang out long enough to check out all the car shows and BBQ cookouts in church parking lots before he set.

I was thinking about fathers recently. I thought about the one I have, the one HE had, the one I am and the one my wife never really had. Her biological father disappeared not long after her birth and she was mostly raised by her grandmother. Her grandfather always was and is still around today but he was only ever present physically. He was apparently some kind of hippie in the '60's and I don't think the rest of him made it out in one cohesive, cognizant piece. My father was 5 years old when the '60's started, a little young to be taking any serious drug induced stands against the man, but I like to think if he was, say, 15 when the '60's stared he would have been one of those non-conformists "square" types. You know, the hip kind Huey Lewis sings about. I have a theory that,because of my wife's lack of real fatherly or even male influence in her life, she perhaps in some sub-conscience way chose one for herself one fine saturday morning of her early childhood. I am talking, of course, of everyones favorite alien Peterbilt with the power to turn into a 40 ft humanoid battle robot, Optimus Prime, leader of the Autobots as they wage their battle to destroy the evil forces of...THE DECEPTICONS! I hope to someday understand my wife's love of this awesome cartoon robot. It's something more than just an old cartoon and toy she used to like. It really is something special that she has with the guy. I plan to investigate further at a later date.

In the show, Optimus is a trusted and loved leader, a wise soul and a constant friend who is willing to give anything to keep those under his care safe. He also has two orange swords that he can call forth from his forearms to use while engaged in battle with his sworn enemy, Megatron.

What more could you want in a father.

Seriously, next time Im going to talk about urinals... for realsies.

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment